It’s not even my birthday…
I came back from yoga this afternoon and had one thing on my mind CAKE (and not the Rihanna kind of cake). As someone who is allergic to dairy, gluten, rice and avoids eggs and refined sugars, chocolate cake was something I thought was long gone outta my life.
That is, until I came across this recipe from Nigella Lawson for chocolate olive oil cake and my life will never be the same. The Worst Dinner Guest gets CAKE CAKE CAKE and here is how (recipe adapted to be refined sugar-free and egg-free from Nigella.com):
Chocolate Olive Oil CAKE CAKE CAKE
– 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
– 6 tbs. cacao powder
– 1/2 cup boiling water
– 2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1 1/2 cups almond flour (made from blendin’ up 2 cups of almonds in a Vitamix)
– 1/2 tsp. baking soda
– pinch o’ salt
– 1 cup maple syrup
– 3 tbs. ground chia seeds mixed with 9 tbs. of water
Directions: First make the chia eggs by grindin’ up the chia seeds in a coffee grinder or Vitamix. Then stir in water and set aside for 15 minutes. The chia seeds need to gel up before they can sneak through as egg impostors.
– Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (Fahrenheit) and grease up a springform tin with a little olive oil.
– Bowl #1: Mix together the boiling water and cacao until it forms this rich dark chocolatey goo, then add the vanilla.
– Bowl #2: Mix together the almond flour, baking soda and salt.
– Bowl #3 (biggest bowl): Whisk/beat the maple syrup, goo’ed up chia eggs and olive oil for a few minutes until it makes a pale looking whisked-up mush (I swear this is going to turn into a dope cake soon). Slowly add the chocolate mixture first and then the flour mixture until you have a batter that looks and tastes like chocolate cake (because it is chocolate cake)
– Pour the cake into the pan and bake for ~40-45 minutes, depending on how ooey gooey you dig your cake
And if you really want to make this sumbitch awesome (HIMYM fans are loling with me), top it off with this chocolate avocado fudge icing:
Chocolate Avo-Fudge ICE ICE Icing:
– 1 avocado
– 5-6 tbs. cacao powder
– 2-3 tbs. maple syrup
– optional: add a little melted dark chocolate if you notice it’s still a little avocado-ey tasting (or just use a little less than 1 avo’)
Directions: Blend. Done.
What do you think of this anti-recipe? Drop me a comment!